We’ve reached the half way point of Year 4 and what a great year its been so far!
This last half term was fantastic and we’ve got so much ahead to look forward to, starting with our trip to Paulton’s Park for a rainforest workshop!
In English we will be reading ‘The Great Kapok Tree’, ‘The Tree of Life’ and ‘The Shamen’s Apprentice’. We will use our reading and learning to inform our final outcomes of a fact-file about rainforests, a persuasive piece on anti-deforestation, and much more.
In Maths, we will continue with multiplication and division skills. We will use then these skills when we learn about fractions. Following fractions, we will be learning about shapes, angles and perimeter. Finally, we will use our addition and subtraction skills as well as coming back to place value and rounding.
In Science we will be learning about living things and their habitat, focusing on the rainforests of the Amazon.
The key ideas we will be learning about are:
- Recognise that living things can be grouped in a variety of ways
- Explore and use classification keys to help group, identify and name a variety of living things in their local and wider environment
- Record findings using simple scientific language, drawings, labelled diagrams, keys, bar charts, and tables
- Ask relevant questions and using different types of scientific enquiries to answer them
- Identify differences, similarities or changes related to simple scientific ideas and processes
- Make systematic and careful observations
Our topic for Spring 2 is Rainforests! We will be finding out about the rainforests of the world, plus the people living there and how human interference is effecting the forests.
Here’s our homework menu for this term –
Please choose two from the following –
- Build a rainforest model – There are loads of ideas on YouTube!
- Draw a rainforest scene, labelling the layers and wildlife
- Write a mini fact-file with 10 WOW facts about rainforests
- Create a poster advertising an exciting trip to the Amazon rainforest
- Continue to practice times tables, the test is 4 months away!
Our PE days are Tuesday and Thursday. Please make sure you have a kit and shoes in school that are suitable for outdoor sessions.
If you have got any questions feel free to ask me at the start or end of the day, or on Class Dojo.
links – Bitesize / Maths & English games / Times Tables games / Times Tables Grid games / Newsround